The Dual in Detroit is off to an interesting start with Rahal Letterman Lanigan’s Graham Rahal earning the P1 award for the first race of the weekend after Team Penske’s Helio Castroneves fastest time was dismissed with a penalty.
The 3-time Indy winner Castroneves was said to have had his fastest, record-breaking lap on the isle disqualified after having failed to slow during a caution lap.
Rahal, disappointed they didn’t directly earn the position is still happy with the P1 start.
Rounding out the top 5 qualifiers is Andretti Autosport and recent 101st Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato for 3rd, teammate Alexander Rossi for 4th and fan beloved Schmidt Peterson Motorsport’s James Hinchcliffe in 5th.
The Dale Coyne Racing’s and IndyCar rookie replacement for Sebastien Bourdais this weekend, former Haas F1 driver Esteban Gutierrez appears to be getting comfortable in the car and qualified 19 of the 22 car field, ahead of teammate (and also rookie) Ed Jones.
Final Qualifying results for Race 1 of the Dual in Detroit, Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix:
1. Graham Rahal (Rahal Letterman)
2. Helio Castroneves (Penske)
3. Takuma Sato (Andretti)
4. Alexander Rossi (Andretti Herta)
5. James Hinchcliffe (Schmidt Peterson)
6. Scott Dixon (Ganassi)
7. Simon Pagenaud (Penske)
8. Max Chilton (Ganassi)
9. Josef Newgarden (Penske)
10. Charlie Kimball (Ganassi)
11. Will Power (Penske)
12. Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti)
13. Marco Andretti (Andretti)
14. Carlos Munoz (A.J. Foyt)
15. Tony Kanaan (Ganassi)
16. Conor Daly (A.J. Foyt)
17. Spencer Pigot (Ed Carpenter)
18. JR Hildebrand (Ed Carpenter)
19. Esteban Gutierrez (R) (Dale Coyne)
20. Mikhail Aleshin (Schmidt Peterson)
21. Ed Jones (R) (Dale Coyne)
22. Oriol Servia (Rahal Letterman)